[DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

123

[DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
more informations).

I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
that's another problem.
Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).

I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.

Open Source SOA

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

jstrachan
If the Felix folks are happy I see it as a win-win really. This could
be a good way to help build the ServiceMix Kernel community - which is
mostly to do with OSGi and little to do with ESBs and JBI and so forth
- as well as building a stronger community of folks from both
ServiceMix and Felix. Am sure parts of ServiceMix kernel could be used
by Felix folks and vice versa.

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Alex Karasulu-2
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
> more informations).
>
> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
> that's another problem.
> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>
> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.

We are very interested in the SM Kernel at several projects.   This in
concert with JUnit OSGi will completely fullfil our dreams.  I had been
playing around with the SM Kernel to take ApacheDS and other servers to OSGi
and I was impressed.  Heck just the SSH based console with application
commands and tab completion are cool in themselves.  Count me in for any
support or help needed in getting this project over to the Felix community.

Thanks,
Alex

2009/3/30 Alex Karasulu <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
>> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
>> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
>> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
>> more informations).
>>
>> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
>> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
>> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
>> that's another problem.
>> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
>> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
>> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
>> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>>
>> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
>> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.
>

> We are very interested in the SM Kernel at several projects.   This in
> concert with JUnit OSGi will completely fullfil our dreams.  I had been
> playing around with the SM Kernel to take ApacheDS and other servers to OSGi
> and I was impressed.  Heck just the SSH based console with application
> commands and tab completion are cool in themselves.  Count me in for any
> support or help needed in getting this project over to the Felix community.

Awesome thanks Alex!

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Chris Custine
I think this would be a great move, and like Guillaume said, would increase
the visibility substantially.  I think a few Apache projects have started
tracking ServiceMix Kernel and might be using it as the basis for their OSGi
based projects.  However, when most people see the ServiceMix moniker, they
don't realize that it is really a generic OSGi base application.

So I am +1 on this idea.

Chris

--
Chris Custine
FUSESource :: http://fusesource.com

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
> more informations).
>
> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
> that's another problem.
> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>
> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

jstrachan
Agreed. If this does happen - we'll need a cool name (which doesn't
have ServiceMix in the title :).

Anyone any suggestions? Naming is super hard!

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Alex Boisvert-3
I also think it's a win-win (for the same reasons mentioned by
James/Guillaume)

alex

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:23 AM, James Strachan <[hidden email]>wrote:

> If the Felix folks are happy I see it as a win-win really. This could
> be a good way to help build the ServiceMix Kernel community - which is
> mostly to do with OSGi and little to do with ESBs and JBI and so forth
> - as well as building a stronger community of folks from both
> ServiceMix and Felix. Am sure parts of ServiceMix kernel could be used
> by Felix folks and vice versa.
>
> 2009/3/30 Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]>:
> > During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
> > moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
> > ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
> > server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
> > more informations).
> >
> > I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
> > to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
> > and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
> > that's another problem.
> > Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
> > specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
> > and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
> > http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
> >
> > I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
> > interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Guillaume Nodet
> > ------------------------
> > Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> > ------------------------
> > Open Source SOA
> > http://fusesource.com
> >

> --
> James
> -------
> http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>
> Open Source Integration
> http://fusesource.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

jgoodyear
I agree, this sounds like a win-win for all involved (as per James /
Guillaume's post).

As a name submission I'd like Carafe (pronounced "karaf"). A carafe is
a small container used for serving wine and other drinks
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carafe). In similarity to the name the
Kernel allows applications to be more easily handled, and improves
their characteristics (much like a bottle of wine left to breath in a
decanter) :)

Jamie

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:46 PM, James Strachan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed. If this does happen - we'll need a cool name (which doesn't
> have ServiceMix in the title :).
>
> Anyone any suggestions? Naming is super hard!
>
> 2009/3/30 Chris Custine <[hidden email]>:
>> I think this would be a great move, and like Guillaume said, would increase
>> the visibility substantially.  I think a few Apache projects have started
>> tracking ServiceMix Kernel and might be using it as the basis for their OSGi
>> based projects.  However, when most people see the ServiceMix moniker, they
>> don't realize that it is really a generic OSGi base application.
>>
>> So I am +1 on this idea.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> --
>> Chris Custine
>> FUSESource :: http://fusesource.com
>> My Blog :: http://blog.organicelement.com
>> Apache ServiceMix :: http://servicemix.apache.org
>> Apache Directory Server :: http://directory.apache.org
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
>>> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
>>> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
>>> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
>>> more informations).
>>>
>>> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
>>> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
>>> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
>>> that's another problem.
>>> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
>>> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
>>> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
>>> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>>>
>>> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
>>> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com
>>>

> --
> James
> -------
> http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>
> Open Source Integration
> http://fusesource.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Richard S. Hall
I think this sounds interesting. If it helps server-based projects move
to OSGi, then I think it is a good thing.

-> richard

On 3/30/09 12:03 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
> more informations).
>
> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
> that's another problem.
> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>
> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Robert Davies-2
like the name!

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:49, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree, this sounds like a win-win for all involved (as per James /
> Guillaume's post).
>
> As a name submission I'd like Carafe (pronounced "karaf"). A carafe is
> a small container used for serving wine and other drinks
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carafe). In similarity to the name the
> Kernel allows applications to be more easily handled, and improves
> their characteristics (much like a bottle of wine left to breath in a
> decanter) :)

What about Karaf to lower the google hit counts and still preserve the
nice semantic ...
 ... and eventually fill the "K" hole of the Apache TLP names list (in
case it ever becomes a TLP later).

> Jamie
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:46 PM, James Strachan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Agreed. If this does happen - we'll need a cool name (which doesn't
>> have ServiceMix in the title :).
>>
>> Anyone any suggestions? Naming is super hard!
>>
>> 2009/3/30 Chris Custine <[hidden email]>:
>>> I think this would be a great move, and like Guillaume said, would increase
>>> the visibility substantially.  I think a few Apache projects have started
>>> tracking ServiceMix Kernel and might be using it as the basis for their OSGi
>>> based projects.  However, when most people see the ServiceMix moniker, they
>>> don't realize that it is really a generic OSGi base application.
>>>
>>> So I am +1 on this idea.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Custine
>>> FUSESource :: http://fusesource.com
>>> My Blog :: http://blog.organicelement.com
>>> Apache ServiceMix :: http://servicemix.apache.org
>>> Apache Directory Server :: http://directory.apache.org

>> --
>> James
>> -------
>> http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Open Source Integration
>> http://fusesource.com/

Open Source SOA

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Karl Pauls
Sounds good to me!

regards,

Karl

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Richard S. Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think this sounds interesting. If it helps server-based projects move to
> OSGi, then I think it is a good thing.
>
> -> richard
>
> On 3/30/09 12:03 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
>> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
>> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
>> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
>> more informations).
>>
>> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
>> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
>> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
>> that's another problem.
>> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
>> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
>> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
>> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>>
>> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
>> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.

Karl Pauls

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Jean-Baptiste Onofre
I think that moving SMX Kernel as a subproject of Felix is a good idea from
the two points of view :
- increase the community around Kernel and provide a great OSGi framework by
  gathering both Felix and Kernel
- for the ServiceMix community, we can focus on the first purpose of
  ServiceMix : provide a great ESB. So we can focus on the ServiceMix NMR,
  bundles and components.

On Monday 30 March 2009 - 18:03, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
> more informations).
>
> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
> that's another problem.
> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>
> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

---------------------------------
 HomePage
http://www.nanthrax.net
---------------------------------
 Contacts
---------------------------------
 OpenSource
BuildProcess/AutoDeploy
http://buildprocess.sourceforge.net
Apache ServiceMix
http://servicemix.apache.org
-----------------------------------
PGP : 17D4F086

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Mike McGrady
Carafe is a container whereas OSGi is an organizer.

How about Obama?  :-) Or, Diorganos?

On Mar 30, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Rob Davies wrote:

> like the name!
> On 30 Mar 2009, at 18:49, Jamie G. wrote:
>
>> I agree, this sounds like a win-win for all involved (as per James /
>> Guillaume's post).
>>
>> As a name submission I'd like Carafe (pronounced "karaf"). A carafe
>> is
>> a small container used for serving wine and other drinks
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carafe). In similarity to the name the
>> Kernel allows applications to be more easily handled, and improves
>> their characteristics (much like a bottle of wine left to breath in a
>> decanter) :)
>>
>> Jamie

Mike McGrady
Senior Engineer
Topia Technology, Inc.
1.253.720.3365

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Stuart McCulloch
2009/3/30 Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]>

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:49, Jamie G. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I agree, this sounds like a win-win for all involved (as per James /
> > Guillaume's post).
> >
> > As a name submission I'd like Carafe (pronounced "karaf"). A carafe is
> > a small container used for serving wine and other drinks
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carafe). In similarity to the name the
> > Kernel allows applications to be more easily handled, and improves
> > their characteristics (much like a bottle of wine left to breath in a
> > decanter) :)
>
> What about Karaf to lower the google hit counts and still preserve the
> nice semantic ...
>  ... and eventually fill the "K" hole of the Apache TLP names list (in
> case it ever becomes a TLP later).

+1 for the name, and the idea of moving it over to Felix :)

Cheers, Stuart

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

gertv
Yes, it sounds like an excellent idea to me as well.  Let's do it...

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------

2009/3/30 Karl Pauls <[hidden email]>:

> Sounds good to me!
>
> regards,
>
> Karl
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Richard S. Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think this sounds interesting. If it helps server-based projects move to
>> OSGi, then I think it is a good thing.
>>
>> -> richard
>>
>> On 3/30/09 12:03 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>>
>>> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
>>> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
>>> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
>>> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
>>> more informations).
>>>
>>> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
>>> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
>>> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
>>> that's another problem.
>>> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
>>> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
>>> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
>>> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>>>
>>> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
>>> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.
>>>

> --
> Karl Pauls

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Lars Heinemann-3
+1 for moving it to Felix as sub project. Already discussed that a bit
at ApacheCon.
I think everything is already said with the given answers.

For the name...Karaf makes me think nothing at all...sorry for that ;)
But on the other handside I have no better name ready to push in.

Regards,
Lars

Guillaume Nodet schrieb:

> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
> more informations).
>
> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
> that's another problem.
> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>
> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Freeman-2
+1 for this idea.
Freeman

Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
> more informations).
>
> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
> that's another problem.
> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>
> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Kristian Köhler-3
+1 from me too. This sounds great!

Kristian

Freeman Fang wrote:

> +1 for this idea.
> Freeman
>
> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>> During ApacheCon last week, there has been some discussions around
>> moving ServiceMix Kernel as a subproject of Felix.
>> ServiceMix Kernel is a packaged distribution of Felix designed for
>> server side applications (see http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/ for
>> more informations).
>>
>> I think this would be beneficial for this project as it would enable
>> to build a much bigger community around it, increase the visibility
>> and the awareness around it. Of course, it would need a new name, but
>> that's another problem.
>> Another area that could be included in this move is the ServiceMix
>> specs (OSGi enhanced versions of Java EE specifications from Geronimo)
>> and ServiceMix bundles (we've released a bunch of bundles already, see
>> http://servicemix.apache.org/smx4/bundles-repository.html).
>>
>> I'd like to have feedback from both communities (and any other
>> interested parties) to gauge the interest in such a move.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move ServiceMix Kernel into Felix as a subproject

Ulhas Bhole-3
+1 for the idea and name but what would be the impact on future fixes if
any needed for some stuff in Servicemix which also needs fixes in
kernel? Also, what is the impact of some other changes that will go in
as part of Felix project on the future of Servicemix project? I am sure
Guillaume and others must have this discussed but just wanted to voice
out the questions I had in mind.

-- Ulhas

123