{Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

{Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

michaelg
 Hi Krzysztof,
 Thanks for your quick answer.
 Looking forward to all that! Will the documentation be migrated as-is
at first, or updated at the same time?
 I try to follow and contribute if I have time, also depending on
whether I will be able to continue working with ServiceMix (still
evaluating).
 Kind regards,
 Michael
  BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 On Mon 10/04/17 12:58 , Sobkowiak Krzysztof  wrote:
 Hi Michael
 Yes, this is this repository, but trunk has not been updated to
ServiceMix 7 yet. Asciidoc is another theme which has to be done. We
have also plans to maintain the documentation within the ServiceMix
assembly repository (like in Karaf) after migration to asciidoc.
 Kindly regards
 Krzysztof
 On 10.04.2017 13:15,  wrote:
 >  Hi!
 >  I'm new to ServiceMix and was following the QuickStart Guide
 > http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf [1]
 >  As another user reported, there are some minor mistakes, which I
 > thought I could submit a PR for. Unfortunately, I can't seem to
find
 > the documentation source for 7.x.
 >  Is it also on GitHub?
 > https://github.com/apache/servicemix-documentation/tree/trunk looks
 > be for the 6.x version?
 >  ksobkowiak mentioned the plan to migrate to AsciiDoc(tor?) :-)
maybe

 --
 Krzysztof Sobkowiak
 Apache ServiceMix Committer & PMC Member

Links:
------
[2] http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf
[3] http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf
[4] http://apache.org/
[5] http://servicemix.apache.org/
[6] http://www.capgeminisoftware.pl/

Re: {Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

ksobkowiak
Hi

I think it's easier to update the documentation first to the actual state (e.g. some commands in Karaf have been changed and the samples in the documentation are no more up to date.

For the migration to asciidoc, Morgan Hautman has written a script which migrates the Scalate based documentation into Asciidoc https://github.com/mhautman/ScalateToAsciidoc. Next there is some manual job to do but this script makes the most of the job.

Kindly regards
Krzysztof

On 11.04.2017 11:05, [hidden email] wrote:

>  Hi Krzysztof,
>  Thanks for your quick answer.
>  Looking forward to all that! Will the documentation be migrated as-is
> at first, or updated at the same time?
>  I try to follow and contribute if I have time, also depending on
> whether I will be able to continue working with ServiceMix (still
> evaluating).
>  Kind regards,
>  Michael
>   BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
>  On Mon 10/04/17 12:58 , Sobkowiak Krzysztof  wrote:
>  Hi Michael
>  Yes, this is this repository, but trunk has not been updated to
> ServiceMix 7 yet. Asciidoc is another theme which has to be done. We
> have also plans to maintain the documentation within the ServiceMix
> assembly repository (like in Karaf) after migration to asciidoc.
>  Kindly regards
>  Krzysztof
>  On 10.04.2017 13:15,  wrote:
>  >  Hi!
>  >  I'm new to ServiceMix and was following the QuickStart Guide
>  > http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf [1]
>  >  As another user reported, there are some minor mistakes, which I
>  > thought I could submit a PR for. Unfortunately, I can't seem to
> find
>  > the documentation source for 7.x.
>  >  Is it also on GitHub?
>  > https://github.com/apache/servicemix-documentation/tree/trunk looks
>  > be for the 6.x version?
>  >  ksobkowiak mentioned the plan to migrate to AsciiDoc(tor?) :-)
> maybe
>  > I could submit a PR there?
>  >  Thanks in advance!
>  >  Regards,
>  >  Michael
>  >
>  >
>  > Links:
>  > ------
>  > [1] http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf
>  >
>  --
>  Krzysztof Sobkowiak
>  JEE & OSS Architect, Integration Architect
>  Apache Software Foundation Member (http://apache.org/)
>  Apache ServiceMix Committer & PMC Member
> (http://servicemix.apache.org/)
>  Senior Solution Architect @ Capgemini SSC
> (http://www.capgeminisoftware.pl/)
>

> Links:
> ------
> [2] http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf
> [3] http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf
> [4] http://apache.org/
> [5] http://servicemix.apache.org/
> [6] http://www.capgeminisoftware.pl/

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak

Re: {Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

michaelg

Ok, I see.

I tried to build the documentation, but it failed (see below) - maybe because I have not installed the prerequisites? Built with Java7 and maven 3.3.9.

I converted the documentation using ScalateToAsciidoc and ran Asciidoctor on the result, to me it looked like (quite) some manual work is needed, for structuring the documents, formatting source code, possibly tables (if there are any), etc.
On the other hand, there are not so many files (ca 25), so that does not look like a lot of work :-)

Is it still planned to include the Karaf documentation?
Would it be an idea to replace Pygments with Coderay when using Asciidoctor in order to avoid being dependent on python?
The Karaf Container documentation appears to be one standard Asciidoctor file, could that be an acceptable first version for the ServiceMix documentation too?

I have some experience with Asciidoctor, but have only just started looking at ServiceMix...

Kind regards,

Michael

P.S. Failed with several errors like:
C:\dev\servicemix-documentation\target\.scalaScriptGen\GeneratePdfDocuments_1.scala:23: error: not found: value project
  val TARGET = new File(project("project.build.directory"))

On 12.04.2017 15:52, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ok, I see.
>
> I tried to build the documentation, but it failed (see below) - maybe because I have not installed the prerequisites? Built with Java7 and maven 3.3.9.
I didn't try this script yet, but it may be the problem.
> I converted the documentation using ScalateToAsciidoc and ran Asciidoctor on the result, to me it looked like (quite) some manual work is needed, for structuring the documents, formatting source code, possibly tables (if there are any), etc.
> On the other hand, there are not so many files (ca 25), so that does not look like a lot of work :-)
>
> Is it still planned to include the Karaf documentation?
I think it makes sense to include the Karaf documentation (during the build), but we can also do this later.
> Would it be an idea to replace Pygments with Coderay when using Asciidoctor in order to avoid being dependent on python?
I'm not familiar with Pygments or Coderay, but I think, it makes sense to do this in the same way like Karaf Container.
> The Karaf Container documentation appears to be one standard Asciidoctor file, could that be an acceptable first version for the ServiceMix documentation too?
Yes, of course.
> I have some experience with Asciidoctor, but have only just started looking at ServiceMix...
We would be glad if we could profit from your experience. Each contribution is warm welcome and good start to the journey into open source. Many people just start looking at a product or library developed by open source community and then decide to become part of this community :)

Kindly regards
Krzysztof

Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)

Re: {Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

michaelg
Hi Krzysztof,

Excellent :-)

I forked https://github.com/apache/servicemix-documentation and give it a go.

My plan is to first migrate to AsciiDoctor as-is, then go through the text, run the examples, and update the bits I can.

Later, the Karaf-documentation could be included, and the ServiceMix documentation could become a module in servicemix.

But one thing at the time :-) See how far I get.

Does this sound OK?

Kind regards

Michael

On Wed 12/04/17 22:37 , Krzysztof Sobkowiak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> Krzysztof
> >> as-is
> }
> >> We
> ServiceMix
> http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf
> >> [1]
> which
> >> looks
> :-)
> >> http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf
> >>
> --
> Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)
> JEE & OSS Architect, Integration Architect
> Apache Software Foundation Member (http://apache.org/)
> Apache ServiceMix Committer & PMC Member
> (http://servicemix.apache.org/)
> Senior Solution Architect @ Capgemini SSC
> (http://www.capgeminisoftware.pl/)

Re: {Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

Hi again,

I've uploaded a first version to http://www.mgfeller.net/servicemix/
Migrated to Asciidoctor as-is, more or less.
Next, I plan to go through the quickstart guide.

Feedback is welcome :-)

Kind regards,

Michael

On 13.04.2017 13:00, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>> C:devservicemix-documentationtarget.scalaScriptGenGeneratePdfDocuments_1.sc
>> ala:23:error: not found: value project
>>>   val TARGET = new File(project("project.build.directory"))

>> actual
>> samples
>> }
>> ServiceMix
>> http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf
>> which
>> :-)
>>>>
>> --
>> Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)
>> JEE & OSS Architect, Integration Architect
>> Apache Software Foundation Member (http://apache.org/)
>> Apache ServiceMix Committer & PMC Member
>> (http://servicemix.apache.org/)
>> Senior Solution Architect @ Capgemini SSC
>> (http://www.capgeminisoftware.pl/)

Re: {Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

Good job!!. It looks good and is a good start point for the further rework of the documentation.

You can also simply remove all the JBI and NMR stuff as it is no more supported since ServiceMix 5.

Kindly regards
Krzysztof

On 17.04.2017 21:31, Michael Gfeller wrote:

> [...]
>>>>
>>> C:devservicemix-documentationtarget.scalaScriptGenGeneratePdfDocuments_1.sc
>>> ala:23:error: not found: value project

>>> actual
>>> samples
>>> }
>>> ServiceMix
>>> http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/7.x/quickstart/quickstart.pdf
>>> which
>>> :-)
>>>>>
>>> --
>>> Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)
>>> JEE & OSS Architect, Integration Architect
>>> Apache Software Foundation Member (http://apache.org/)
>>> Apache ServiceMix Committer & PMC Member
>>> (http://servicemix.apache.org/)
>>> Senior Solution Architect @ Capgemini SSC
>>> (http://www.capgeminisoftware.pl/)

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)

Re: {Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

Thanks, Krzysztof!

Will do, and post updates here.

Kind regards
Michael

On Wed 19/04/17 22:20 , Krzysztof Sobkowiak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michael
> Good job!!. It looks good and is a good start point for the further
> rework of the documentation.
> You can also simply remove all the JBI and NMR stuff as it is no more
> supported since ServiceMix 5.
> Kindly regards
> Krzysztof
> On 17.04.2017 21:31, Michael Gfeller wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I've uploaded a first version to
> http://www.mgfeller.net/servicemix/
> > Migrated to Asciidoctor as-is, more or less.
> > Next, I plan to go through the quickstart guide.
> >
> > Feedback is welcome :-)
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > On 13.04.2017 13:00,  wrote:
> >> Hi Krzysztof,
> >>
> >> Excellent :-)
> >>
> >> I forked https://github.com/apache/servicemix-documentation and
> give it a go.
> >>
> >> My plan is to first migrate to AsciiDoctor as-is, then go through
> the text, run the examples, and update the bits I can.
> >>
> >> Later, the Karaf-documentation could be included, and the
> ServiceMix documentation could become a module in servicemix.
> >>
> >> But one thing at the time :-) See how far I get.
> >>
> >> Does this sound OK?
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >>
> >> Michael

> Java7
> manual
> code,

> the
> the
> started
> open
> of

> C:devservicemix-documentationtarget.scalaScriptGenGeneratePdfDocuments_1.sc

> script
> some
> migrated
> on
> (still
> sans-serif;font-size:12px;
> done.
> asciidoc.
> Guide
> seem
> https://github.com/apache/servicemix-documentation/tree/trunk

> --
> Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)
> JEE & OSS Architect, Integration Architect
> Apache Software Foundation Member (http://apache.org/)
> Apache ServiceMix Committer & PMC Member
> (http://servicemix.apache.org/)
> Senior Solution Architect @ Capgemini SSC
> (http://www.capgeminisoftware.pl/)

Re: {Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

michaelg
Hi,

I have tested all examples in the guides, and adjusted where necessary,
to the best of my knowledge.
All Karaf commands are now included in the ServiceMix documentation on
each build automatically, using the karaf-maven-plugin and an additional
Groovy script. However, it appears that the Karaf manual is not deployed
to the central maven repo anymore, therefore, links refer to the latest
Karaf user and developer guides.

I updated the content with minor changes. There are still quite a few
TODOs in the text from some time ago.

Latest version here:
http://www.mgfeller.net/servicemix/

Github repo here:
https://github.com/mgfeller/servicemix-documentation/tree/asciidoc

Feedback is welcome!

Also, how should I best proceed from here? Submit a PR, more work on
content, or turn it into a submodule in the ServiceMix project (forking

On 20.04.2017 20:31, [hidden email] wrote:

> Thanks, Krzysztof!
>
> Will do, and post updates here.
>
> Kind regards
> Michael
>
> On Wed 19/04/17 22:20 , Krzysztof Sobkowiak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael
>> Good job!!. It looks good and is a good start point for the further
>> rework of the documentation.
>> You can also simply remove all the JBI and NMR stuff as it is no more
>> supported since ServiceMix 5.
>> Kindly regards
>> Krzysztof
>> On 17.04.2017 21:31, Michael Gfeller wrote:
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> I've uploaded a first version to
>> http://www.mgfeller.net/servicemix/
>>> Migrated to Asciidoctor as-is, more or less.
>>> Next, I plan to go through the quickstart guide.
>>>
>>> Feedback is welcome :-)
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Michael

>> give it a go.

>> the text, run the examples, and update the bits I can.

>> ServiceMix documentation could become a module in servicemix.

>> Java7
>> manual
>> code,

>> the
>> the
>> started
>> open
>> of

>> C:devservicemix-documentationtarget.scalaScriptGenGeneratePdfDocuments_1.sc

>> script
>> some
>> migrated
>> on
>> (still
>> sans-serif;font-size:12px;
>> done.
>> asciidoc.
>> Guide
>> seem
>> https://github.com/apache/servicemix-documentation/tree/trunk

>> --
>> Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)
>> JEE & OSS Architect, Integration Architect
>> Apache Software Foundation Member (http://apache.org/)
>> Apache ServiceMix Committer & PMC Member
>> (http://servicemix.apache.org/)
>> Senior Solution Architect @ Capgemini SSC
>> (http://www.capgeminisoftware.pl/)

Re: {Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

ksobkowiak
Hi Michael

Excellent work. I'll look deeper at this tomorrow in the train. You can make it a submodule in servicemix code base and submit a pull request. You can look at Karaf repo and make it similar.

Kindly regards
Krzysztof

On 5/14/17 3:21 PM, Michael Gfeller wrote:

> [...]
>>> some
>>> migrated
>>> on
>>> (still
>>> sans-serif;font-size:12px;
>>> done.
>>> asciidoc.
>>> Guide
>>> seem
>>> https://github.com/apache/servicemix-documentation/tree/trunk

>>> --
>>> Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)
>>> JEE & OSS Architect, Integration Architect
>>> Apache Software Foundation Member (http://apache.org/)
>>> Apache ServiceMix Committer & PMC Member
>>> (http://servicemix.apache.org/)
>>> Senior Solution Architect @ Capgemini SSC
>>> (http://www.capgeminisoftware.pl/)

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)

Re: {Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

The pull request is submitted: https://github.com/apache/servicemix/pull/52

Kind regards

Michael

On 14.05.2017 20:03, Krzysztof Sobkowiak wrote:

> Hi Michael
>
> Excellent work. I'll look deeper at this tomorrow in the train. You can make it a submodule in servicemix code base and submit a pull request. You can look at Karaf repo and make it similar.
>
> Kindly regards
> Krzysztof
>
> On 5/14/17 3:21 PM, Michael Gfeller wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have tested all examples in the guides, and adjusted where necessary, to the best of my knowledge.
>> All Karaf commands are now included in the ServiceMix documentation on each build automatically, using the karaf-maven-plugin and an additional Groovy script. However, it appears that the Karaf manual is not deployed to the central maven repo anymore, therefore, links refer to the latest Karaf user and developer guides.
>>
>> I updated the content with minor changes. There are still quite a few TODOs in the text from some time ago.
>>
>> Latest version here:
>> http://www.mgfeller.net/servicemix/
>>
>> Github repo here:
>> https://github.com/mgfeller/servicemix-documentation/tree/asciidoc
>>
>> Feedback is welcome!
>>
>> Also, how should I best proceed from here? Submit a PR, more work on content, or turn it into a submodule in the ServiceMix project (forking https://github.com/apache/servicemix)?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> On 20.04.2017 20:31, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Thanks, Krzysztof!
>>>
>>> Will do, and post updates here.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Michael

Re: {Disarmed} Re: State of documentation for ServiceMix7 ?

ksobkowiak
Hi Michael

Thanks for the PR. I'll look at this tomorrow.

Kindly regards
Krzysztof