Quantcast

[Discussion] Web site updating

123

[Discussion] Web site updating

Eric Johnson
I saw that there have been a number of starts for getting the project Web
site updated, but not a lot of forward progress. I'd like to help out and
have the time to get some of the work done.

I like the proposal at http://servicemix.apache.org/home2.html. It does a
nice job of presenting a unified entry point and guiding a visitor to the
version of ServiceMix they want. The side menu could be de-cluttered allot.
Perhaps removing the documentation and component sections and adding short
sections for SMX3 and SMX4?

For the version specific sub-sites there needs to be some re-org as well to
make it clear what information is for users and what is for developers. The
SMX4 stuff should probably be re-orged to remove the distictions between the
NMR, Kernel, and ServiceMix.

As for the discussion about moving some of the documentation into DocBook,
or at least into something that can be versioned better, I can help with
that as well. There needs to be some distinction between what should be done
in the Wiki and what should be done in DocBook. IMHO user-facing,
authoritative content should be done in DocBook and technical articles,
knowledge base articles, FAQs, and more developer focused stuff should be
done in the Wiki.

Would it make sense to move the main site pages out of confluence and into a
format that can be stored in SVN? Maybe use a tool like Scalate?
Cheers,
Eric J.

--
Principle Technical Writer

Phone (781) 280-4174
Skype finnmccumial
E-Mail [hidden email]
Blog http://documentingit.blogspot.com/

Re: [Discussion] Web site updating

Adrian Trenaman-2
  Hi Eric,

I'd be very happy to get the stuff out of confluence and into SVN as you
propose. I saw a post from James on Scalate, and I think that it would
be great way to leverage Scalate as part of our renovation.

Possibly the most important things for me are:

a) That it becomes part of source-code control. This makes documentation
a 'first class citizen' in our community, and allows talented writers to
contribute and become recognized committers. In the past, there has been
little incentive or recognition for writing documentation, and this will
fix that.

b) That whatever format we use is easy-peasy to write, and lets us focus
on content/structure rather than formatting.

On a related note, the documentation problem on the Apache site is, I
feel, doing the ServiceMix community a disservice - yet, thankfully, its
not an NP-hard problem to fix! To fix it fast, I'd like to propose a
'docuthon' event. If someone can set out the structure of the
documentation, and then create a load of JIRA's for the individual
sections/sub-sections that need to be written, we could mobilize the
community for a single week to stop coding and get writing, for just one
week. Then, someone in an 'editor' role can pull it all together, clean
it up, and enforce coherency.

What do you think?

On 15/10/2010 00:20, Eric Johnson wrote:

> I saw that there have been a number of starts for getting the project Web
> site updated, but not a lot of forward progress. I'd like to help out and
> have the time to get some of the work done.
>
> I like the proposal at http://servicemix.apache.org/home2.html. It does a
> nice job of presenting a unified entry point and guiding a visitor to the
> version of ServiceMix they want. The side menu could be de-cluttered allot.
> Perhaps removing the documentation and component sections and adding short
> sections for SMX3 and SMX4?
>
> For the version specific sub-sites there needs to be some re-org as well to
> make it clear what information is for users and what is for developers. The
> SMX4 stuff should probably be re-orged to remove the distictions between the
> NMR, Kernel, and ServiceMix.
>
> As for the discussion about moving some of the documentation into DocBook,
> or at least into something that can be versioned better, I can help with
> that as well. There needs to be some distinction between what should be done
> in the Wiki and what should be done in DocBook. IMHO user-facing,
> authoritative content should be done in DocBook and technical articles,
> knowledge base articles, FAQs, and more developer focused stuff should be
> done in the Wiki.
>
> Would it make sense to move the main site pages out of confluence and into a
> format that can be stored in SVN? Maybe use a tool like Scalate?
> Cheers,
> Eric J.

Re: [Discussion] Web site updating

jstrachan
On 15 October 2010 11:00, Adrian Trenaman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi Eric,
>
> I'd be very happy to get the stuff out of confluence and into SVN as you
> propose. I saw a post from James on Scalate, and I think that it would be
> great way to leverage Scalate as part of our renovation.
>
> Possibly the most important things for me are:
>
> a) That it becomes part of source-code control. This makes documentation a
> 'first class citizen' in our community, and allows talented writers to
> contribute and become recognized committers. In the past, there has been
> little incentive or recognition for writing documentation, and this will fix
> that.
>
> b) That whatever format we use is easy-peasy to write, and lets us focus on
> content/structure rather than formatting.
>
> On a related note, the documentation problem on the Apache site is, I feel,
> doing the ServiceMix community a disservice - yet, thankfully, its not an
> NP-hard problem to fix! To fix it fast, I'd like to propose a 'docuthon'
> event. If someone can set out the structure of the documentation, and then
> create a load of JIRA's for the individual sections/sub-sections that need
> to be written, we could mobilize the community for a single week to stop
> coding and get writing, for just one week. Then, someone in an 'editor' role
> can pull it all together, clean it up, and enforce coherency.
>
> What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea!

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: [Discussion] Web site updating

Eric Johnson
As a writer and not much of a coder, I love the idea of a docuthon:)

E-Mail [hidden email]
Blog http://documentingit.blogspot.com/

Re: [Discussion] Web site updating

Good idea Adrian !!

On 10/15/2010 12:00 PM, Adrian Trenaman wrote:

> [...]
>> developers. The
>> SMX4 stuff should probably be re-orged to remove the distictions
>> between the
>> NMR, Kernel, and ServiceMix.
>>
>> As for the discussion about moving some of the documentation into
>> DocBook,
>> or at least into something that can be versioned better, I can help with
>> that as well. There needs to be some distinction between what should
>> be done
>> in the Wiki and what should be done in DocBook. IMHO user-facing,
>> authoritative content should be done in DocBook and technical articles,
>> knowledge base articles, FAQs, and more developer focused stuff should be
>> done in the Wiki.
>>
>> Would it make sense to move the main site pages out of confluence and
>> into a
>> format that can be stored in SVN? Maybe use a tool like Scalate?

[Discussion] Design update

Łukasz Dywicki
Hi all,
The changes in ServiceMix are  hot topic now so I'll try too to provoke
another discuss. Current page design is not the best, only little bit better
than plain wiki.

My young intern have a lot of free time until december so I gave him task:
update servicemix web page design.
Here is first snapshot of his work:

http://tinyurl.com/smx-proto

Don't get this as final (it even don't look like final) or only one proposal
- this is only demo.
We are open for ideas how to make webpage look and feel better.

If you have idea how to make servicemix webpage better - simply let us know,
we'll implement it.

Regards,
Lukasz

RE: [Discussion] Design update

Łukasz Dywicki
Hello,
I have two updates for you:

Black version
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5087/servicemix.jpg
Blue version
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6781/servicemix2.jpg

Regards,
Lukasz

Re: [Discussion] Design update

Johan Edstrom-2
Blue +1

I still think it needs some tweaks (not that I am the Photoshop guy)
It is getting really shiny looking.

/je

On Oct 21, 2010, at 12:44 AM, Łukasz Dywicki wrote:

> Hello,
> I have two updates for you:
>
> Black version
> http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5087/servicemix.jpg
> Blue version
> http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6781/servicemix2.jpg
>
> Regards,
> Lukasz

Johan Edstrom

[hidden email]

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Re: [Discussion] Design update

Hadrian Zbarcea
+1 for blue too.

Looks very nice. Would there be an interest in helping out with the camel site [1] as well?
Pretty pleeease :)

Hadrian

[1] camel.apache.org

On Oct 21, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Johan Edstrom wrote:

> Blue +1
>
> I still think it needs some tweaks (not that I am the Photoshop guy)
> It is getting really shiny looking.
>
> /je
>
> On Oct 21, 2010, at 12:44 AM, Łukasz Dywicki wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I have two updates for you:
>>
>> Black version
>> http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5087/servicemix.jpg
>> Blue version
>> http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6781/servicemix2.jpg
>>
>> Regards,
>> Lukasz

I like the blue theme a lot, but without the mouse and keyboard ...

2010/10/20 Łukasz Dywicki <[hidden email]>

> Hi all,
> The changes in ServiceMix are  hot topic now so I'll try too to provoke
> another discuss. Current page design is not the best, only little bit
> better
> than plain wiki.
>
> My young intern have a lot of free time until december so I gave him task:
> update servicemix web page design.
> Here is first snapshot of his work:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/smx-proto
>
> Don't get this as final (it even don't look like final) or only one
> proposal
> - this is only demo.
> We are open for ideas how to make webpage look and feel better.
>
> If you have idea how to make servicemix webpage better - simply let us
> know,
> we'll implement it.
>
> Regards,
> Lukasz

Open Source SOA

Re: [Discussion] Design update

Lars Heinemann-3

as already stated in IRC the blue one looks good but I think it does not really fit to an Apache project.
Don't get me wrong on this but it looks somehow too cold and commercial.

Good:
--------------------------------
- the search box top right together with the ASF logo
- the use of boxes as also done in the mockup at http://servicemix.apache.org/home2
- the bottom alternate navigation as text links

What I would like to do different:
- have an entry page without side navigation
- another project logo (already have one in mind but want to make a picture first)
- less menu items / pages
- an extensive features page
- put some nice looking boxes on welcome page for Downloads, Documentation and Contributing (like on http://www.opensuse.org)
- breadcrumbs for better orientation
- activity stream on the welcome page for Twitter, Blogs, News and Jira

Hope this helps,

Lars

Am 21.10.2010 um 08:44 schrieb Łukasz Dywicki:

> Hello,
> I have two updates for you:
>
> Black version
> http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5087/servicemix.jpg
> Blue version
> http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6781/servicemix2.jpg
>
> Regards,
> Lukasz

For the logo I have some ideas...

#1. "Bringing your services together"
Those pictures could symbolize bringing together services or connecting parts to a bigger system.
I think that fits nice to SMX.

Below to sample images I found on net...
1. http://www.123rf.com/photo_6579672_cube-assembling-from-blocks-in-3d-render.html
2. http://www.123rf.com/photo_6831968_abstract-red-and-dark-glass-cubes-on-a-white.html

#2. "The DNA of SOA"
How about a logo like some kind of twisted DNA.

Lars

Am 21.10.2010 um 08:44 schrieb Łukasz Dywicki:

> Hello,
> I have two updates for you:
>
> Black version
> http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5087/servicemix.jpg
> Blue version
> http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6781/servicemix2.jpg
>
> Regards,
> Lukasz

Freeman-2
Strongly +1 for activity stream on the welcome page.
Just like Karaf already put twitter in, pull dynamically what people say about "servicemix"

Freeman

Re: [Discussion] Design update

Eric Johnson
+1 for the Twitter feed

E-Mail [hidden email]

On 10/22/2010 03:58 AM, Freeman-2 wrote:

> Strongly +1 for activity stream on the welcome page.
> Just like Karaf already put twitter in, pull dynamically what people say
> about "servicemix"
>
> Freeman

RE: [Discussion] Design update

Łukasz Dywicki
Hi Hadrian,
Of course we're ready to help Camel too. Just give us week or two to finish
current work and we'll start riding the Camel! :)

Regards,
Lukasz

Looks very nice. Would there be an interest in helping out with the camel
site [1] as well?
Pretty pleeease :)

Hadrian

[1] camel.apache.org

On Oct 21, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Johan Edstrom wrote:

> Blue +1
>
> I still think it needs some tweaks (not that I am the Photoshop guy)
> It is getting really shiny looking.
>
> /je
>
> On Oct 21, 2010, at 12:44 AM, Łukasz Dywicki wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I have two updates for you:
>>
>> Black version
>> http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5087/servicemix.jpg
>> Blue version
>> http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6781/servicemix2.jpg
>>
>> Regards,
>> Lukasz

Thank you very much for response and ideas. Bide for next proto soon [1]!

Regards,
Lukasz

[1] Soon = Wednesday

On 10/22/2010 03:58 AM, Freeman-2 wrote:

> Strongly +1 for activity stream on the welcome page.
> Just like Karaf already put twitter in, pull dynamically what people say
> about "servicemix"
>
> Freeman

Re: [Discussion] Design update

Eric Johnson
Would it make sense to start a github project and start hacking together a
scalate version of the static site incorporating the design ideas being
offered? (I suggest scalate because the Apache infrastructure team is
deprecating Confluence due to lack of maintenance on the static site export
plug-in.)

I think this is a decent summary:
* Landing page should have big boxes for download, doc, contrib (the things
most visitors want to see)
* News panel on landing page
* live updating twitter feed on landing page
* simpler navigation
* better overview of ServiceMix to disambiguate between 3.x and 4.x
* organize site so that a user knows if content is for 3.x or 4.x
* make navigation easier

anything else?

E-Mail [hidden email]
Blog http://documentingit.blogspot.com/

Re: [Discussion] Design update

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
It's a good starting point :)

On 10/22/2010 02:40 PM, Eric Johnson wrote:

> Would it make sense to start a github project and start hacking together a
> scalate version of the static site incorporating the design ideas being
> offered? (I suggest scalate because the Apache infrastructure team is
> deprecating Confluence due to lack of maintenance on the static site export
> plug-in.)
>
> I think this is a decent summary:
> * Landing page should have big boxes for download, doc, contrib (the things
> most visitors want to see)
> * News panel on landing page
> * live updating twitter feed on landing page
> * simpler navigation
> * better overview of ServiceMix to disambiguate between 3.x and 4.x
> * organize site so that a user knows if content is for 3.x or 4.x
> * make navigation easier
>
> anything else?
>

> 2010/10/22 Łukasz Dywicki<[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi,
>> Thank you very much for response and ideas. Bide for next proto soon [1]!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Lukasz
>>
>> [1] Soon = Wednesday

Daniel  Kulp
On Friday 22 October 2010 8:40:35 am Eric Johnson wrote:
> Would it make sense to start a github project

Only if you want your next board report to say SMX collaboration is happening
at GitHub.    Hint:  that won't go over well.

> and start hacking together a
> scalate version of the static site incorporating the design ideas being
> offered? (I suggest scalate because the Apache infrastructure team is
> deprecating Confluence due to lack of maintenance on the static site export
> plug-in.)

What MAY actually be an interesting idea is to approach INFRA and ask for some
details on the new CMS.   It supposedly has a pluggable template/markup
system, but I don't know how "pluggable" it really is (like is a JVM allowed).
All the content would be in SVN so folks could contribute that way or use the
web gui thing, it supports staging, etc...     Just a thought.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
[hidden email]