Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Mark Thomas
Hi all,

I am writing to your dev@ lists (on BCC) as your project has, in the
past, requested access to the Java EE TCKs while they were controlled by
Sun and then Oracle.

As I am sure you are aware, Java EE has moved to Eclipse and is now
Jakarta EE. The good news is that the TCKs have been open sourced.

https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck

(I haven't tried to build the latest TCK from source yet but it is on my
TODO list.)

Shipping compatible implementations of the Jakarta EE specs (and being
able to make public statements to that effect) will be subject only to
the spec [1] and TCK [2] licenses. There will no longer be a TCK
agreement or NDA to sign. However...

The question has arisen whether or not any ASF projects will want to use
the Jakarta EE compatible logo [3]. If a project wants to be able to do
this, there are some organisational hoops to jump through. Before the
ASF starts down that path the board has asked me to see if there are any
projects that want to use the Jakarta EE compatible logo. After all,
there is no point jumping through the hoops if no-one wants to use the logo.

With the above in mind can you please discuss this amongst your project
community and reply back to [hidden email] whether or not your
project is interested in being able to use the Jakarta EE compatible
logo. I ask that you complete this no later than the next board meeting
(20th February 2019).

If you have any questions about any of the above, please also use
[hidden email] to ask them.

Thanks,

Mark

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/efsl.php
[2] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/tck.php
[3] https://www.eclipse.org/legal/tck.php

Re: Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility logo

Mark Thomas
Ping.

Just a gentle reminder as I haven't seen any emails to jcp-open@ as yet.

Mark

PS If you don't want to build from source, there are nightly TCK builds
available here:
https://download.eclipse.org/ee4j/jakartaee-tck/8.0.1/nightly/