[PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

[PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
Hi guys,

Up to now, we did monolithic ServiceMix Spec release (all spec in a row).

As the spec are very stable, it's really painful to do a full specs release when
a did a minor update or fix on a single spec.

As we do for the bundles, I propose to change ServiceMix Specs in order to be
able to release atomic spec.

Thoughts ?

If you agree, I will prepare the change.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

Daniel  Kulp
I definitely agree with this.    The last thing I needed from specs was JUST a new jax-rs bundle so I did just do a release of just that bundle.  However, with the build setup for monolithic releases, it was harder than it should be.    It would be great to get the poms and such setup so we could just release the individual specs that change.

One question would be around version number - the last “full release” was 2.9.0.   For updates to current specs, do we jump to 3.0?    For brand new specs, would we start at 3.0 or start at 1.0 like we do in bundles?

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
Agree to start all new SMX specs to 3.0 and increase async each one.

On 01/04/2018 04:49 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> I definitely agree with this.    The last thing I needed from specs was JUST a new jax-rs bundle so I did just do a release of just that bundle.  However, with the build setup for monolithic releases, it was harder than it should be.    It would be great to get the poms and such setup so we could just release the individual specs that change.
>
> One question would be around version number - the last “full release” was 2.9.0.   For updates to current specs, do we jump to 3.0?    For brand new specs, would we start at 3.0 or start at 1.0 like we do in bundles?
>

> Dan
>

>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Up to now, we did monolithic ServiceMix Spec release (all spec in a row).
>>
>> As the spec are very stable, it's really painful to do a full specs release when a did a minor update or fix on a single spec.
>>
>> As we do for the bundles, I propose to change ServiceMix Specs in order to be able to release atomic spec.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> If you agree, I will prepare the change.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Regards
>> JB
>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

fpapon

I think it's a very good idea.

Just for my curiosity, why not use the specification version in the
release ?

For example, in servicemix-specs-2.9.0, the jaxrs-api version is 2.1,
may be it would be easier to check if the new release will be
servicemix-specs-jaxrs-api-2.1 ?

And to release a fix version we could add a last number in the version.

François

Le 04/01/2018 à 19:49, Daniel Kulp a écrit :

> I definitely agree with this.    The last thing I needed from specs was JUST a new jax-rs bundle so I did just do a release of just that bundle.  However, with the build setup for monolithic releases, it was harder than it should be.    It would be great to get the poms and such setup so we could just release the individual specs that change.
>
> One question would be around version number - the last “full release” was 2.9.0.   For updates to current specs, do we jump to 3.0?    For brand new specs, would we start at 3.0 or start at 1.0 like we do in bundles?
>

> Dan
>

>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Up to now, we did monolithic ServiceMix Spec release (all spec in a row).
>>
>> As the spec are very stable, it's really painful to do a full specs release when a did a minor update or fix on a single spec.
>>
>> As we do for the bundles, I propose to change ServiceMix Specs in order to be able to release atomic spec.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> If you agree, I will prepare the change.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Regards
>> JB
>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org
Yupiik - https://www.yupiik.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
That could work but we need to extend the version with a specific iteration.

For instance servicemix-specs-jaxrs-api-2.1 could be
servicemix-specs-jaxrs-api-2.1_1 (for instance, we can imagine to have a new
fix/builds on the same spec version). It's the same format as in the bundles.

On 01/04/2018 05:26 PM, Francois Papon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it's a very good idea.
>
> Just for my curiosity, why not use the specification version in the
> release ?
>
> For example, in servicemix-specs-2.9.0, the jaxrs-api version is 2.1,
> may be it would be easier to check if the new release will be
> servicemix-specs-jaxrs-api-2.1 ?
>
> And to release a fix version we could add a last number in the version.
>
> François
>

> Le 04/01/2018 à 19:49, Daniel Kulp a écrit :
>> I definitely agree with this.    The last thing I needed from specs was JUST a new jax-rs bundle so I did just do a release of just that bundle.  However, with the build setup for monolithic releases, it was harder than it should be.    It would be great to get the poms and such setup so we could just release the individual specs that change.
>>
>> One question would be around version number - the last “full release” was 2.9.0.   For updates to current specs, do we jump to 3.0?    For brand new specs, would we start at 3.0 or start at 1.0 like we do in bundles?
>>

>> Dan
>>

>>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Up to now, we did monolithic ServiceMix Spec release (all spec in a row).
>>>
>>> As the spec are very stable, it's really painful to do a full specs release when a did a minor update or fix on a single spec.
>>>
>>> As we do for the bundles, I propose to change ServiceMix Specs in order to be able to release atomic spec.
>>>
>>> Thoughts ?
>>>
>>> If you agree, I will prepare the change.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards
>>> JB
>>> --
>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

R: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

Andrea Cosentino
I agree. +1. It makes sense.

Inviato da Yahoo Mail su Android

  Il gio, 4 gen, 2018 alle 16:39, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<[hidden email]> ha scritto:   Hi guys,

Up to now, we did monolithic ServiceMix Spec release (all spec in a row).

As the spec are very stable, it's really painful to do a full specs release when
a did a minor update or fix on a single spec.

As we do for the bundles, I propose to change ServiceMix Specs in order to be
able to release atomic spec.

Thoughts ?

If you agree, I will prepare the change.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

Daniel  Kulp
Yea… using the “_” separator would work.   We couldn’t do a “.”, but a separator could work to denote the “version” from servicemix.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

Grzegorz Grzybek
Hello

Separator "_" would match ordinary SMX bundles versioning, so it's
consistent.

One thing that comes to my mind is that now (e.g., in Karaf's pom.xml) we
have:

<properties>
    <servicemix.specs.version>2.9.0</servicemix.specs.version>
</properties>

That has to change. But I can imagine it's still much easier than releasing
all specs when only one is needed.

best regards
Grzegorz Grzybek

> Yea… using the “_” separator would work.   We couldn’t do a “.”, but a
> separator could work to denote the “version” from servicemix.
>
> Dan
>
> > On Jan 4, 2018, at 12:04 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > That could work but we need to extend the version with a specific
> iteration.
> >
> > For instance servicemix-specs-jaxrs-api-2.1 could be
> servicemix-specs-jaxrs-api-2.1_1 (for instance, we can imagine to have a
> new fix/builds on the same spec version). It's the same format as in the
> bundles.
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> >
> > On 01/04/2018 05:26 PM, Francois Papon wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I think it's a very good idea.
> >> Just for my curiosity, why not use the specification version in the
> >> release ?
> >> For example, in servicemix-specs-2.9.0, the jaxrs-api version is 2.1,
> >> may be it would be easier to check if the new release will be
> >> servicemix-specs-jaxrs-api-2.1 ?
> >> And to release a fix version we could add a last number in the version.
> >> François
> was JUST a new jax-rs bundle so I did just do a release of just that
> bundle.  However, with the build setup for monolithic releases, it was
> harder than it should be.    It would be great to get the poms and such
> setup so we could just release the individual specs that change.

> was 2.9.0.   For updates to current specs, do we jump to 3.0?    For brand
> new specs, would we start at 3.0 or start at 1.0 like we do in bundles?

> row).

> release when a did a minor update or fix on a single spec.

> order to be able to release atomic spec.

> > --
> > Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> > [hidden email]
> > http://blog.nanthrax.net
> > Talend - http://www.talend.com
>
> --
> Daniel Kulp
> [hidden email] - http://dankulp.com/blog

Re: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

Karaf is not a problem, we will use one property per spec used in Karaf
features. Not a big deal, I will do the change accordingly.

On 01/05/2018 07:47 AM, Grzegorz Grzybek wrote:

> Hello
>
> Separator "_" would match ordinary SMX bundles versioning, so it's
> consistent.
>
> One thing that comes to my mind is that now (e.g., in Karaf's pom.xml) we
> have:
>
> <properties>
>      <servicemix.specs.version>2.9.0</servicemix.specs.version>
> </properties>
>
> That has to change. But I can imagine it's still much easier than releasing
> all specs when only one is needed.
>
> best regards
> Grzegorz Grzybek

>> Yea… using the “_” separator would work.   We couldn’t do a “.”, but a
>> separator could work to denote the “version” from servicemix.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 12:04 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> That could work but we need to extend the version with a specific
>> iteration.
>>>
>>> For instance servicemix-specs-jaxrs-api-2.1 could be
>> servicemix-specs-jaxrs-api-2.1_1 (for instance, we can imagine to have a
>> new fix/builds on the same spec version). It's the same format as in the
>> bundles.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

>> was JUST a new jax-rs bundle so I did just do a release of just that
>> bundle.  However, with the build setup for monolithic releases, it was
>> harder than it should be.    It would be great to get the poms and such
>> setup so we could just release the individual specs that change.

>> was 2.9.0.   For updates to current specs, do we jump to 3.0?    For brand
>> new specs, would we start at 3.0 or start at 1.0 like we do in bundles?

>> row).

>> release when a did a minor update or fix on a single spec.

>> order to be able to release atomic spec.

>>> --
>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>
>> --
>> Daniel Kulp
>> [hidden email] - http://dankulp.com/blog

Re: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

Hi guys,

just a quick update about this thread.

I did a complete change on a local branch containing:
- a dedicated version per spec, using {spec.version}_{iteration} version format.
- add scm element in each spec to be able to release each spec individually

I will prepare a PR later today or tomorrow.

> Hi guys,
>
> Up to now, we did monolithic ServiceMix Spec release (all spec in a row).
>
> As the spec are very stable, it's really painful to do a full specs release when
> a did a minor update or fix on a single spec.
>
> As we do for the bundles, I propose to change ServiceMix Specs in order to be
> able to release atomic spec.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> If you agree, I will prepare the change.
>
> Thanks,

Re: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

I would like to provide an update about this proposal.

I create a Jira (SM-3624) to track this and I created a PullRequest:

https://github.com/apache/servicemix-specs/pull/13

I'm doing some tests before merging.

Feel free to take a look.

I plan to merge later today or tomorrow.

> Hi guys,
>
> Up to now, we did monolithic ServiceMix Spec release (all spec in a row).
>
> As the spec are very stable, it's really painful to do a full specs release when
> a did a minor update or fix on a single spec.
>
> As we do for the bundles, I propose to change ServiceMix Specs in order to be
> able to release atomic spec.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> If you agree, I will prepare the change.
>
> Thanks,

Re: [PROPOSAL] Prepare ServiceMix Spec to be able to release per spec

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
Hi guys,

if there's no objection, I will merge the PR later today.