[PROPOSAL] Release all ServiceMix bundles to include sources

[PROPOSAL] Release all ServiceMix bundles to include sources

as sent this morning, I added the Maven configuration to provide a
sources artifact with our bundles.

The sources artifact includes:
- a shade of the original dependencies (all original sources files)
- the pom.xml using by the ServiceMix bundles
- the META-INF/MANIFEST generated by the maven-bundle-plugin

So now, we are:
- Apache compliant as we provide a sources artifact
- the users are able to debug with ServiceMix bundles as the sources
could be loaded in the IDE

Now, we have two ways:
1/ I include the sources artifacts only for the bundles planned to be in
the next release
2/ I include ALL bundles in the next release (mostly for debugging purpose)

I'm ready to do 2/ (it will be quick to update and I can cut off the
release tonight).

WDYT ?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Release all ServiceMix bundles to include sources

#2 sounds good to me.

Very good idea, we should have done that since ages...

FuseSource, Integration everywhere

Re: [PROPOSAL] Release all ServiceMix bundles to include sources

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
Thanks for the update Guillaume.

I'm updating the bundles.

On 01/23/2012 03:41 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> #2 sounds good to me.
>
> Very good idea, we should have done that since ages...
>
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 15:38, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> as sent this morning, I added the Maven configuration to provide a sources
>> artifact with our bundles.
>>
>> The sources artifact includes:
>> - a shade of the original dependencies (all original sources files)
>> - the pom.xml using by the ServiceMix bundles
>> - the META-INF/MANIFEST generated by the maven-bundle-plugin
>>
>> So now, we are:
>> - Apache compliant as we provide a sources artifact
>> - the users are able to debug with ServiceMix bundles as the sources could
>> be loaded in the IDE
>>
>> Now, we have two ways:
>> 1/ I include the sources artifacts only for the bundles planned to be in the
>> next release
>> 2/ I include ALL bundles in the next release (mostly for debugging purpose)
>>
>> I'm ready to do 2/ (it will be quick to update and I can cut off the release
>> tonight).
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Release all ServiceMix bundles to include sources

Gert Vanthienen
Administrator
L.S.,

There are currently over 330 bundles in our bundles' trunk.  Are we really
going to re-release all of those?  Couldn't we like limit the number of
releases somehow by only releasing the latest version or the latest minor
versions or whatever instead, because that will be quite a big release vote
otherwise to review all those artifacts?

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks for the update Guillaume.
>
> I'm updating the bundles.

> On 01/23/2012 03:41 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>
>> #2 sounds good to me.
>>
>> Very good idea, we should have done that since ages...
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 15:38, Jean-Baptiste Onofré<[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> as sent this morning, I added the Maven configuration to provide a
>>> sources
>>> artifact with our bundles.
>>>
>>> The sources artifact includes:
>>> - a shade of the original dependencies (all original sources files)
>>> - the pom.xml using by the ServiceMix bundles
>>> - the META-INF/MANIFEST generated by the maven-bundle-plugin
>>>
>>> So now, we are:
>>> - Apache compliant as we provide a sources artifact
>>> - the users are able to debug with ServiceMix bundles as the sources
>>> could
>>> be loaded in the IDE
>>>
>>> Now, we have two ways:
>>> 1/ I include the sources artifacts only for the bundles planned to be in
>>> the
>>> next release
>>> 2/ I include ALL bundles in the next release (mostly for debugging
>>> purpose)
>>>
>>> I'm ready to do 2/ (it will be quick to update and I can cut off the
>>> release
>>> tonight).
>>>
>>> WDYT ?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB
>>> --
>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Release all ServiceMix bundles to include sources

Daniel  Kulp

Any chance we could also add the "Bundle-SymbolicName" and "Eclipse-
SourceBundle" manifest header to the source jars to make the sources wire into
eclipse when used as a target platform?   Might be a bit trickier to do, but
it could be worth while.

Dan

On Monday, January 23, 2012 3:38:48 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as sent this morning, I added the Maven configuration to provide a
> sources artifact with our bundles.
>
> The sources artifact includes:
> - a shade of the original dependencies (all original sources files)
> - the pom.xml using by the ServiceMix bundles
> - the META-INF/MANIFEST generated by the maven-bundle-plugin
>
> So now, we are:
> - Apache compliant as we provide a sources artifact
> - the users are able to debug with ServiceMix bundles as the sources
> could be loaded in the IDE
>
> Now, we have two ways:
> 1/ I include the sources artifacts only for the bundles planned to be in
> the next release
> 2/ I include ALL bundles in the next release (mostly for debugging purpose)
>
> I'm ready to do 2/ (it will be quick to update and I can cut off the
> release tonight).
>
> WDYT ?

Daniel Kulp

Re: [PROPOSAL] Release all ServiceMix bundles to include sources

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
Sure, it's the right time ;)

Bundle-SymbolicName is easy, Eclipse-SourceBundle could be tricky.

Let me check.

On 01/23/2012 03:58 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> Any chance we could also add the "Bundle-SymbolicName" and "Eclipse-
> SourceBundle" manifest header to the source jars to make the sources wire into
> eclipse when used as a target platform?   Might be a bit trickier to do, but
> it could be worth while.
>
> Dan
>

> On Monday, January 23, 2012 3:38:48 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> as sent this morning, I added the Maven configuration to provide a
>> sources artifact with our bundles.
>>
>> The sources artifact includes:
>> - a shade of the original dependencies (all original sources files)
>> - the pom.xml using by the ServiceMix bundles
>> - the META-INF/MANIFEST generated by the maven-bundle-plugin
>>
>> So now, we are:
>> - Apache compliant as we provide a sources artifact
>> - the users are able to debug with ServiceMix bundles as the sources
>> could be loaded in the IDE
>>
>> Now, we have two ways:
>> 1/ I include the sources artifacts only for the bundles planned to be in
>> the next release
>> 2/ I include ALL bundles in the next release (mostly for debugging purpose)
>>
>> I'm ready to do 2/ (it will be quick to update and I can cut off the
>> release tonight).
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Regards
>> JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Release all ServiceMix bundles to include sources

Agreed.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 15:57, Gert Vanthienen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> There are currently over 330 bundles in our bundles' trunk.  Are we really
> going to re-release all of those?  Couldn't we like limit the number of
> releases somehow by only releasing the latest version or the latest minor
> versions or whatever instead, because that will be quite a big release vote
> otherwise to review all those artifacts?
>
> Regards,
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------
> FuseSource
> Web: http://fusesource.com
>

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the update Guillaume.
>>
>> I'm updating the bundles.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>

>> On 01/23/2012 03:41 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> #2 sounds good to me.
>>>
>>> Very good idea, we should have done that since ages...

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

FuseSource, Integration everywhere

Re: [PROPOSAL] Release all ServiceMix bundles to include sources

Done,

it will be included in the next released bundles.

On 01/23/2012 03:58 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> Any chance we could also add the "Bundle-SymbolicName" and "Eclipse-
> SourceBundle" manifest header to the source jars to make the sources wire into
> eclipse when used as a target platform?   Might be a bit trickier to do, but
> it could be worth while.
>
> Dan
>

> On Monday, January 23, 2012 3:38:48 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> as sent this morning, I added the Maven configuration to provide a
>> sources artifact with our bundles.
>>
>> The sources artifact includes:
>> - a shade of the original dependencies (all original sources files)
>> - the pom.xml using by the ServiceMix bundles
>> - the META-INF/MANIFEST generated by the maven-bundle-plugin
>>
>> So now, we are:
>> - Apache compliant as we provide a sources artifact
>> - the users are able to debug with ServiceMix bundles as the sources
>> could be loaded in the IDE
>>
>> Now, we have two ways:
>> 1/ I include the sources artifacts only for the bundles planned to be in
>> the next release
>> 2/ I include ALL bundles in the next release (mostly for debugging purpose)
>>
>> I'm ready to do 2/ (it will be quick to update and I can cut off the
>> release tonight).
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> Regards
>> JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Release all ServiceMix bundles to include sources

I propose to release only the "latest" version of the bundles. For
instance, regarding jetty, only the jetty-6.1.26 bundle will be included
in the release (not the "old" ones).

Is it OK for you ?

On Monday, January 23, 2012 4:13:39 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
> Done,
>
> it will be included in the next released bundles.

Awesome!

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp