[REPORT] Apache ServiceMix - December 2016

[REPORT] Apache ServiceMix - December 2016

ksobkowiak
Apache ServiceMix is a flexible, open-source integration container that
unifies the features and functionality of Apache ActiveMQ, Camel, CXF and
Karaf to provide a complete, enterprise-ready ESB powered by OSGi.

## Issues

There are no outstanding issues requiring board attention.

## Activity

The project focus of Apache ServiceMix is the assembly of the integration
container, the actual functionality is being maintained in related projects
like Apache Karaf, Apache CXF, Apache Camel and Apache ActiveMQ.

During the las period we have provided the users with new maintenance release
6.0.5 and new updates 5.6.2 and 6.1.3 from the development branches. We have
decided to transit the 5.5.x branch into EOL, as there is no more development
on this branch nor on the proper versions of the related projects. We have also
released 2 new OSGi bundle sets.

We have also released the last preview release of ServiceMix 7 (7.0.0.M3). We
plan to release the final version at the end of this year.

In the next period we plan to focus on ServiceMix 7, but we also expect to provide
the maintenance releases for ServiceMix 5 and 6, as long new dependencies will be
available.

## Health report

Activity on the mailing lists and in JIRA is on the same level like in the last period.
We had some new contributions. We have lost a lot of our momentum now that major parts
of the functionality are being maintained in related projects like Apache Karaf and Apache
Camel.

## PMC changes

 - Currently 22 PMC members.
 - Last PMC addition was Krzysztof Sobkowiak on Sat Jul 05 2014

## Committer base changes

 - Currently 50 committers.
 - Last committer addition was Andrea Cosentino at Sun Mar 13 2016

## Releases

 - Apache ServiceMix Bundles 2016.09 on September 29 2016
 - Apache ServiceMix Bundles 2016.10 on November 07 2016
 - Apache ServiceMix 5.6.2 on November 23 2016
 - Apache ServiceMix 6.0.5 on November 23 2016
 - Apache ServiceMix 6.1.3 on November 23 2016
 - Apache ServiceMix 7.0.0.M3 on December 03 2016

## JIRA activity

Re: [REPORT] Apache ServiceMix - December 2016

rajamanickam
What does Apache Camel do?