What are ramifications of move to apache?

What are ramifications of move to apache?

Peter Smith-2
It is not clear to me what exactly are all the ramifications of
ServiceMix becoming an Apache Geronimo sub-project.

Can someone please explain so even a complete dodo who has never worked
with ASF projects before can understand the impact.

Thanks,
Peter.

~~~~~

Some example questions.....

SOURCE

- Source location shifted to apache site. Is that all current ServiceMix
source code?

- Will this cause ServiceMix code/direction to become somehow more
Geronimo-centric?

- And what exactly does "ServiceMix extensions at codehaus" mean and/or
how does it differ from the apache code?

- Any source licensing changes/issues?

- Same roadmap?

COMMUNITY

- Do new apache mailing lists completely replace "Old codehaus" ones? Or
will they both operate in parallel, or what?

- IRC,  Wiki & ServiceMix Home page all same with same location or
everything to move and if so where and when?

- JIRA same?

OTHER

- ?

[end]

Re: What are ramifications of move to apache?

jstrachan
On 12 Dec 2005, at 23:00, Peter Smith wrote:
> It is not clear to me what exactly are all the ramifications of
> ServiceMix becoming an Apache Geronimo sub-project.
>
> Can someone please explain so even a complete dodo who has never
> worked with ASF projects before can understand the impact.

Sure :)

> Some example questions.....
>
> SOURCE
>
> - Source location shifted to apache site. Is that all current
> ServiceMix source code?

Yes. Though Apache cannot use some software licenses yet like *GPL or
commercial software so a few things will have to stay back at
codehaus; so we'll probably eventually rename the servicemix project
at codehaus to be something like servicemix-utils or something to
keep anything that Apache can't host. But at least 95% of the
codebase is now at Apache...

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/servicemix/trunk/

> - Will this cause ServiceMix code/direction to become somehow more
> Geronimo-centric?

No. But hopefully it will mean we'll form closer ties to other Apache
projects like Axis, Synapse and Tuscany and I hope we'll reuse more
infrastructure from Geronimo and help to shape its direction like JCA
& JTA and XBean (which is also moving over). Another good example is
making sure ServiceMix is fully supported in the portlet based
Geronimo management console etc.

> - And what exactly does "ServiceMix extensions at codehaus" mean
> and/or how does it differ from the apache code?

See above

> - Any source licensing changes/issues?

No - it's all still Apache Software License version 2.0

> - Same roadmap?

Yes; though with a bit more cooperation with existing Apache projects.

> COMMUNITY
>
> - Do new apache mailing lists completely replace "Old codehaus"
> ones? Or will they both operate in parallel, or what?

I'm hoping we can forward the old mail lists to the new ones; but in
the mean time I think the new apache ones replace the old ones.

> - IRC,  Wiki & ServiceMix Home page all same with same location or
> everything to move and if so where and when?

IRC and Wiki are staying where they are. At some point we'll rehost
the website at (temorarily) http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/
then when we leave the incuabtor it'll be http://geronimio.apache.org/
servicemix/. Though in both cases we should be able to redirect
http://servicemix.org/ to the Apache site.

> - JIRA same?

Stay where it is for now. One day we may export/import into Apache's

> OTHER

I can't think of much more; one minor difference; we'll be following
the Apache voting rules. Up until the move we'd just chat on IRC and
figure we needed a release and just do it; now we'll call a vote to
release and to make major changes. Other than that it should be
business as usual.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/