[servicemix-user] 2.x and Eclipse

nsowatsk
Hi

One of the side effects of moving from 1.x to 2.x is that the build
system has been reorganised to make Servicemix more modular (or
something). This also seems to mean that having a servicemix-2.x
project in Eclipse based on the top level directory of the bundle
doesn't work anymore. When I run "maven eclipse" the .project
and .classpath files in jbi, base, core, jaxws, xfire, components and
assembly are updated, but not the ones in the servicemix base
directory itself.

Given the way that Eclipse works, this means that I will need to
create projects for all of these components separately. Was this
intended, or just an unforeseen outcome? I could create a workspace
based on the servicemix-2.0.1 directory, and so create all of the
project internally and update their dependencies, but this is less
straightforward than the way in which 1.x was structured, and would
mean that my own projects would have to appear in the same workspace.

I'll go with the flow, if I can see where the flow is going :-)

Many thanks

Nathan

Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
+34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco - [hidden email]

Re: [servicemix-user] 2.x and Eclipse

Guillaume Nodet-3
Here is the way i work with eclipse.

Run "maven eclipse" from the root.
This generates all the projects for components.
Import these all at once using the new 3.1 feature that allows
importing multiple projects at once.

I end up with all sub projects in eclipse.
I do not follow you problem with the project in servicemix base directory.
AFAIK, eclipse does not support projects that overlap, or maybe i missed
some important feature in eclipse.  Could you please give more details ?

Guillaume

Nathan Sowatskey wrote:

> Hi
>
> One of the side effects of moving from 1.x to 2.x is that the build
> system has been reorganised to make Servicemix more modular (or
> something). This also seems to mean that having a servicemix-2.x
> project in Eclipse based on the top level directory of the bundle
> doesn't work anymore. When I run "maven eclipse" the .project  and
> .classpath files in jbi, base, core, jaxws, xfire, components and
> assembly are updated, but not the ones in the servicemix base
> directory itself.
>
> Given the way that Eclipse works, this means that I will need to
> create projects for all of these components separately. Was this
> intended, or just an unforeseen outcome? I could create a workspace
> based on the servicemix-2.0.1 directory, and so create all of the
> project internally and update their dependencies, but this is less
> straightforward than the way in which 1.x was structured, and would
> mean that my own projects would have to appear in the same workspace.
>
> I'll go with the flow, if I can see where the flow is going :-)
>
> Many thanks
>
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco - [hidden email]

Re: [servicemix-user] 2.x and Eclipse

nsowatsk
Actually, having tried to make the Eclipse workspace map to the
servicemix-2.0.1 directory doesn't quite work either, as the projects
seems to be nested at different levels:

jbi
core
components/base
components/jaxws
components/xfire
assembly

Admittedly, this is just how the maven eclipse target is interpreting
the project desciptors. I have tried creating just the jbi and core
projects, which seems to be fine for now. Is anyone else using
Eclipse out there? How did you do this?

On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:21, Nathan Sowatskey wrote:

> Hi
>
> One of the side effects of moving from 1.x to 2.x is that the build
> system has been reorganised to make Servicemix more modular (or
> something). This also seems to mean that having a servicemix-2.x
> project in Eclipse based on the top level directory of the bundle
> doesn't work anymore. When I run "maven eclipse" the .project
> and .classpath files in jbi, base, core, jaxws, xfire, components
> and assembly are updated, but not the ones in the servicemix base
> directory itself.
>
> Given the way that Eclipse works, this means that I will need to
> create projects for all of these components separately. Was this
> intended, or just an unforeseen outcome? I could create a workspace
> based on the servicemix-2.0.1 directory, and so create all of the
> project internally and update their dependencies, but this is less
> straightforward than the way in which 1.x was structured, and would
> mean that my own projects would have to appear in the same workspace.
>
> I'll go with the flow, if I can see where the flow is going :-)
>
> Many thanks
>
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco -

Re: [servicemix-user] 2.x and Eclipse

nsowatsk
Hi

Thanks for this. We are trying different approaches. Which projects
did you import please?

These are the projects that I can see:

jbi
core
components/base
components/jaxws
components/xfire
assembly

Regards

On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:28, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> Here is the way i work with eclipse.
>
> Run "maven eclipse" from the root.
> This generates all the projects for components.
> Import these all at once using the new 3.1 feature that allows
> importing multiple projects at once.
>
> I end up with all sub projects in eclipse.
> I do not follow you problem with the project in servicemix base
> directory.
> AFAIK, eclipse does not support projects that overlap, or maybe i
> missed
> some important feature in eclipse.  Could you please give more
> details ?
>
> Guillaume
>
> Nathan Sowatskey wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> One of the side effects of moving from 1.x to 2.x is that the
>> build  system has been reorganised to make Servicemix more modular
>> (or  something). This also seems to mean that having a
>> servicemix-2.x  project in Eclipse based on the top level
>> directory of the bundle  doesn't work anymore. When I run "maven
>> eclipse" the .project  and .classpath files in jbi, base, core,
>> jaxws, xfire, components and  assembly are updated, but not the
>> ones in the servicemix base  directory itself.
>>
>> Given the way that Eclipse works, this means that I will need to
>> create projects for all of these components separately. Was this
>> intended, or just an unforeseen outcome? I could create a
>> workspace  based on the servicemix-2.0.1 directory, and so create
>> all of the  project internally and update their dependencies, but
>> this is less  straightforward than the way in which 1.x was
>> structured, and would  mean that my own projects would have to
>> appear in the same workspace.
>>
>> I'll go with the flow, if I can see where the flow is going :-)
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
>> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco -
>> [hidden email]

Re: [servicemix-user] 2.x and Eclipse

nsowatsk
I am afraid that I am thrashing about here.

This is what I have done, and the results:

1 - Run maven eclipse in servicemix-2.0.1
2 - Create a workspace based on the servicemix-2.0.1 directory (I
have also tried the containing directory of servicemix-2.0.1)
3 - Tried to import the jbi project. I get "Invalid project description.
   /Users/nsowatsk/Documents/workspace/servicemix-2.0.1/jbi overlaps
the workspace location: /Users/nsowatsk/Documents/workspace/
servicemix-2.0.1"

What I *can* do in this situation is create a new project named "jbi"
with servicemix-2.0.1 as the workspace, and that works fine.

The question I have now is which of these:

jbi
core
components/base
components/jaxws
components/xfire
assembly

Are projects that I need to create, and which are derived. If I need
to create projects for base, jaxws and xfire, which are nested in
components, then I have a problem: "Cannot create project content in
workspace." as the workspace for those projects would need to be
servicemix-2.0.1/components.

I am sure that there is a rationale here, but I am struggling to find
it :-)

On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:48, Nathan Sowatskey wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for this. We are trying different approaches. Which projects
> did you import please?
>
> These are the projects that I can see:
>
> jbi
> core
> components/base
> components/jaxws
> components/xfire
> assembly
>
> Regards
>
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco -
> [hidden email]
>
> On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:28, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>
>> Here is the way i work with eclipse.
>>
>> Run "maven eclipse" from the root.
>> This generates all the projects for components.
>> Import these all at once using the new 3.1 feature that allows
>> importing multiple projects at once.
>>
>> I end up with all sub projects in eclipse.
>> I do not follow you problem with the project in servicemix base
>> directory.
>> AFAIK, eclipse does not support projects that overlap, or maybe i
>> missed
>> some important feature in eclipse.  Could you please give more
>> details ?
>>
>> Guillaume
>>
>> Nathan Sowatskey wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> One of the side effects of moving from 1.x to 2.x is that the
>>> build  system has been reorganised to make Servicemix more
>>> modular (or  something). This also seems to mean that having a
>>> servicemix-2.x  project in Eclipse based on the top level
>>> directory of the bundle  doesn't work anymore. When I run "maven
>>> eclipse" the .project  and .classpath files in jbi, base, core,
>>> jaxws, xfire, components and  assembly are updated, but not the
>>> ones in the servicemix base  directory itself.
>>>
>>> Given the way that Eclipse works, this means that I will need to
>>> create projects for all of these components separately. Was this
>>> intended, or just an unforeseen outcome? I could create a
>>> workspace  based on the servicemix-2.0.1 directory, and so create
>>> all of the  project internally and update their dependencies, but
>>> this is less  straightforward than the way in which 1.x was
>>> structured, and would  mean that my own projects would have to
>>> appear in the same workspace.
>>>
>>> I'll go with the flow, if I can see where the flow is going :-)
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>
>>> Nathan
>>>
>>> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
>>> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco -
>>> [hidden email]

Re: [servicemix-user] 2.x and Eclipse

Guillaume Nodet-3
I really do not understand your problem.
AFAIK, Eclipse does not support derived projects or nested projects.
So what i do is:
  * create a blank workspace (not project) wherever you want (maybe in
servicemix\workspace)
  * run "maven eclipse" from the root
  * import the six projects you listed

I always use projects outside of my workspace.

Nathan Sowatskey wrote:

> I am afraid that I am thrashing about here.
>
> This is what I have done, and the results:
>
> 1 - Run maven eclipse in servicemix-2.0.1
> 2 - Create a workspace based on the servicemix-2.0.1 directory (I
> have also tried the containing directory of servicemix-2.0.1)
> 3 - Tried to import the jbi project. I get "Invalid project description.
>   /Users/nsowatsk/Documents/workspace/servicemix-2.0.1/jbi overlaps
> the workspace location: /Users/nsowatsk/Documents/workspace/
> servicemix-2.0.1"
>
> What I *can* do in this situation is create a new project named "jbi"
> with servicemix-2.0.1 as the workspace, and that works fine.
>
> The question I have now is which of these:
>
> jbi
> core
> components/base
> components/jaxws
> components/xfire
> assembly
>
> Are projects that I need to create, and which are derived. If I need
> to create projects for base, jaxws and xfire, which are nested in
> components, then I have a problem: "Cannot create project content in
> workspace." as the workspace for those projects would need to be
> servicemix-2.0.1/components.
>
> I am sure that there is a rationale here, but I am struggling to find
> it :-)
>
> Regards
>
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco - [hidden email]
>
> On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:48, Nathan Sowatskey wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for this. We are trying different approaches. Which projects
>> did you import please?
>>
>> These are the projects that I can see:
>>
>> jbi
>> core
>> components/base
>> components/jaxws
>> components/xfire
>> assembly
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
>> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco -  [hidden email]
>>
>> On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:28, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> Here is the way i work with eclipse.
>>>
>>> Run "maven eclipse" from the root.
>>> This generates all the projects for components.
>>> Import these all at once using the new 3.1 feature that allows
>>> importing multiple projects at once.
>>>
>>> I end up with all sub projects in eclipse.
>>> I do not follow you problem with the project in servicemix base
>>> directory.
>>> AFAIK, eclipse does not support projects that overlap, or maybe i
>>> missed
>>> some important feature in eclipse.  Could you please give more
>>> details ?
>>>
>>> Guillaume

Re: [servicemix-user] 2.x and Eclipse

jstrachan
BTW what maven version were you using? It often depends on which one.
(I tend to use 1.0.2).

BTW2 import the projects, don't create a workspace.

On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:01, Nathan Sowatskey wrote:

> I am afraid that I am thrashing about here.
>
> This is what I have done, and the results:
>
> 1 - Run maven eclipse in servicemix-2.0.1
> 2 - Create a workspace based on the servicemix-2.0.1 directory (I
> have also tried the containing directory of servicemix-2.0.1)
> 3 - Tried to import the jbi project. I get "Invalid project
> description.
>   /Users/nsowatsk/Documents/workspace/servicemix-2.0.1/jbi overlaps
> the workspace location: /Users/nsowatsk/Documents/workspace/
> servicemix-2.0.1"
>
> What I *can* do in this situation is create a new project named
> "jbi" with servicemix-2.0.1 as the workspace, and that works fine.
>
> The question I have now is which of these:
>
> jbi
> core
> components/base
> components/jaxws
> components/xfire
> assembly
>
> Are projects that I need to create, and which are derived. If I
> need to create projects for base, jaxws and xfire, which are nested
> in components, then I have a problem: "Cannot create project
> content in workspace." as the workspace for those projects would
> need to be servicemix-2.0.1/components.
>
> I am sure that there is a rationale here, but I am struggling to
> find it :-)
>
> Regards
>
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco -
> [hidden email]
>
> On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:48, Nathan Sowatskey wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for this. We are trying different approaches. Which
>> projects did you import please?
>>
>> These are the projects that I can see:
>>
>> jbi
>> core
>> components/base
>> components/jaxws
>> components/xfire
>> assembly
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
>> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco -
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:28, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> Here is the way i work with eclipse.
>>>
>>> Run "maven eclipse" from the root.
>>> This generates all the projects for components.
>>> Import these all at once using the new 3.1 feature that allows
>>> importing multiple projects at once.
>>>
>>> I end up with all sub projects in eclipse.
>>> I do not follow you problem with the project in servicemix base
>>> directory.
>>> AFAIK, eclipse does not support projects that overlap, or maybe i
>>> missed
>>> some important feature in eclipse.  Could you please give more
>>> details ?
>>>
>>> Guillaume

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

RE: [servicemix-user] 2.x and Eclipse

Stephen Ferrando
I'm using Eclipse a bit differently.  This is what has worked for me:

Create a new project.  On the "Source" tab, click "Add Folder" and then
click the "Advanced" tab.  Tick off the "Link to Folder in the file
system" box and point it to the servicemix-2.0\components\base\src\java
directory.  Do this two more times for the jaxws and xfire directories.

Hope this helps.

-Steve

Stephen Ferrando
[hidden email]
212-461-2330
www.dbconcert.com

Nathan Sowatskey wrote:

> [...]

>> components/xfire
>> assembly
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
>> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco -
[hidden email]

>> On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:28, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> Here is the way i work with eclipse.
>>>
>>> Run "maven eclipse" from the root.
>>> This generates all the projects for components.
>>> Import these all at once using the new 3.1 feature that allows
>>> importing multiple projects at once.
>>>
>>> I end up with all sub projects in eclipse.
>>> I do not follow you problem with the project in servicemix base
>>> directory.
>>> AFAIK, eclipse does not support projects that overlap, or maybe i
>>> missed
>>> some important feature in eclipse.  Could you please give more

I have started at the beginning:

1 - Download servicemix-2.0.1.zip from the link at the servicemix site.

2 - Put the unzipped servicemix directory into a directory that is
not in my workspace at all.

3 - Start Eclipse selecting my default workspace.

4 - Run maven to build servicemix.

5 - Run maven eclipse for the eclipse project files.

6 - Import the projects to my workspace.

I now have these errors:

Severity Description Resource In Folder Location Creation Time Id
2 The project cannot be built until build path errors are resolved
servicemix-xfire November 10, 2005 5:23:05 PM 121589
2 Project servicemix-xfire is missing required source folder: 'Users/
nsowatsk/Documents/work/servicemix/servicemix-2.0.1/src/test/
resources' servicemix-xfire November 10, 2005 5:23:05 PM 121588
2 Project servicemix-xfire is missing required source folder: 'src/
main/resources' servicemix-xfire November 10, 2005 5:23:05 PM 121587
2 The project cannot be built until build path errors are resolved
servicemix-jbi November 10, 2005 5:21:09 PM 121572
2 Project servicemix-jbi is missing required source folder: 'src/main/
resources' servicemix-jbi November 10, 2005 5:21:09 PM 121571
2 The project cannot be built until build path errors are resolved
servicemix-jaxws November 10, 2005 5:22:47 PM 121584
2 Project servicemix-jaxws is missing required source folder: 'Users/
nsowatsk/Documents/work/servicemix/servicemix-2.0.1/src/test/
resources' servicemix-jaxws November 10, 2005 5:22:47 PM 121583
2 Project servicemix-jaxws is missing required source folder: 'src/
main/resources' servicemix-jaxws November 10, 2005 5:22:47 PM 121582
2 The project cannot be built until build path errors are resolved
servicemix-core November 10, 2005 5:21:09 PM 121573
2 Project servicemix-core is missing required source folder: 'target/
generated' servicemix-core November 10, 2005 4:59:57 PM 121565
2 The project was not built since it depends on servicemix-jbi, which
has build path errors servicemix-components November 10, 2005
5:22:26 PM 121579

7 - Manually remove the missing source folders.
8 - Refresh the projects.

Now it seems to work. Maybe it's me, but this was not obvious. With
1.x I just created a project on the source directory and I was away.
Still, now that I have written this down, maybe it will go into a
faq :-)

On 10 Nov 2005, at 15:10, James Strachan wrote:

> BTW what maven version were you using? It often depends on which
> one. (I tend to use 1.0.2).
>
> BTW2 import the projects, don't create a workspace.
>

> On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:01, Nathan Sowatskey wrote:
>
>> I am afraid that I am thrashing about here.
>>
>> This is what I have done, and the results:
>>
>> 1 - Run maven eclipse in servicemix-2.0.1
>> 2 - Create a workspace based on the servicemix-2.0.1 directory (I
>> have also tried the containing directory of servicemix-2.0.1)
>> 3 - Tried to import the jbi project. I get "Invalid project
>> description.
>>   /Users/nsowatsk/Documents/workspace/servicemix-2.0.1/jbi
>> overlaps the workspace location: /Users/nsowatsk/Documents/
>> workspace/servicemix-2.0.1"
>>
>> What I *can* do in this situation is create a new project named
>> "jbi" with servicemix-2.0.1 as the workspace, and that works fine.
>>
>> The question I have now is which of these:
>>
>> jbi
>> core
>> components/base
>> components/jaxws
>> components/xfire
>> assembly
>>
>> Are projects that I need to create, and which are derived. If I
>> need to create projects for base, jaxws and xfire, which are
>> nested in components, then I have a problem: "Cannot create
>> project content in workspace." as the workspace for those projects
>> would need to be servicemix-2.0.1/components.
>>
>> I am sure that there is a rationale here, but I am struggling to
>> find it :-)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>> Nathan Sowatskey - Technical Leader, NMTG CTO Engineering -
>> +34-638-083-675, +34-91-201-2139 - AIM NathanCisco -
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> On 10 Nov 2005, at 14:48, Nathan Sowatskey wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Thanks for this. We are trying different approaches. Which
>>> projects did you import please?
>>>
>>> These are the projects that I can see:
>>>
>>> jbi
>>> core